- File README.md — part of check-in [b289b99d73] at 2019-03-07 20:38:36 on branch trunk — Markdown adjustments (user: bernd size: 2009)
net2o — reinventing the Internet
net2o is the attempt to reinvent the Internet.
Get it and try it
- The internet bases on assumptions 20–30 years old
- These assumptions are wrong today
- Much of it followed the “good enough” principle
- There’s a huge pile of accumulated cruft
- Fixing this mess one–by–one is the wrong attempt
What needs to be fixed?
- IP: Use switch–based simple routing, don’t route every packet
- TCP: Most data just needs to be obtained reliable, the order doesn’t matter. And TCP’s flow control is broken (delay minimized is the way to go).
- Encryption everywhere: This is no longer an expensive operation (and for symmetric encryption, fast hardware implementation is feasible)
- P2P instead of client–server
- A new API (render layer, markup language, scripting) — the browser is there for serious applications now.
Rendering is done with OpenGL ES, GUI layer is MINOΣ 2.
net2o has been inspired by Open Network Forth from Heinz Schnitter.