net2o - reinventing the Internet
net2o is the attempt to reinvent the Internet.
- The internet bases on assumptions 20-30 years old
- These assumptions are wrong today
- Much of it followed the "good enough" principle
- There's a huge pile of accumulated cruft
- Fixing this mess one-by-one is the wrong attempt
What needs to be fixed?
- IP: Use switch-based simple routing, don't route every packet
- TCP: Most data just needs to be obtained reliable, the order doesn't matter. And TCP's flow control is broken (something like LEDBAT is better).
- Encryption everywhere: This is no longer an expensive operation (especially symmetric encryption schemes like AES have extremely fast hardware implementations)
- P2P instead of client-server
- A new API (render layer, markup language, scripting) - the browser is there for serious applications now.
Rendering is done with OpenGL ES, GUI layer is MINOΣ 2.
net2o has been inspired by Open Network Forth from Heinz Schnitter.