net2o is the attempt to reinvent the Internet. It's free software available under the AGPLv3.
Principal author of net2o is
- Bernd Paysan firstname.lastname@example.org
Get it and try it
- The internet bases on assumptions 20-30 years old
- These assumptions are wrong today
- Much of it followed the "good enough" principle
- There's a huge pile of accumulated cruft
- Fixing this mess one-by-one is the wrong attempt
What needs to be fixed?
- IP: Use switch-based simple routing, don't route every packet
- TCP: Most data just needs to be obtained reliable, the order doesn't matter. And TCP's flow control is broken (delay minimized is the way to go).
- Encryption everywhere: This is no longer an expensive operation (and for symmetric encryption, fast hardware implementation is feasible)
- P2P instead of client-server
- A new API (render layer, markup language, scripting) - the browser is there for serious applications now.
Rendering is done with OpenGL ES, GUI layer is MINOΣ 2.
net2o has been inspired by Open Network Forth from Heinz Schnitter.
What third party technology do we use
- ed25519 from Dan Bernstein (in the donna version from floodyberry)
- Keccak (original reference implementation)
- Threefish as block cipher in ECB mode and in Threefish AEAD mode as backup for Keccak.
- (wurstkessel from myself - now replaced by Keccak)
The documentation is work in progress. The seven layers of net2o are not equal to the ISO-OSI layers, but this layering provides a familiar starting point:
- Physical layer - this is not part of net2o itself.
- Flow Control
- Distributed Data
Videos & Presentations
- Original whitepaper (for historical purposes only)
- EuroForth 2009 presentation
- EuroForth 2010 presentation
- EuroForth 2011 presentation
- EuroForth 2012 presentation
- EuroForth 2013 — net2o application layer
- EuroForth 2014 — net2o command language
- 31c3 presentation
- 32c3 presentation
- EuroForth 2016 presentation
- 33c3 presentation
- EuroForth 2017 presentation (MINOΣ 2)
- 34c3 presentation (alternative source: Chaos West's capture)
- EuroForth 2018 presentation (MINOΣ 2 + $quid)
- 35c3 presentation (only Chaos West capture this time, as they did a very professional job).
- The pki problem
- Client authentication
- Ack cookies
- Random number seat belts
- Key format
- Key revocation
- NSA backdoor
- Data retention
- Onion Routing
- Threat Model
- What it's not for
- Nettie logo
- $quid CryptoCurrency
- Guidelines of Conduct